Lemon Chicken Orzo SoupSoups/Stews
LEMON CHICKEN ORZO SOUP
This recipe is inspired by the Panera Bread version, and I think nails it! This is a great summer soup because of it’s lightness, yet it can also be hearty in the cooler months because of the comfort of pasta! In any season, will likely become a family favorite.
8 ounces of orzo pasta
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
(3) 32 ounce cartons of low-sodium chicken broth
¼ to ½ fresh lemon juice, depending on personal tastes and tartness of lemons
1 lemon, zested
8 ounces of cooked chicken, chopped or rotisserie
8 ounces of baby spinach or kale for something a little different
1 lemon, sliced for garnish (depending on how fancy you want to be!)
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook orzo in boiling water until fully cooked. Drain and rinse with cold water and cool completely. I strongly recommend that you do not cook the orzo with the soup as the orzo will end up absorbing all of your broth.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook orzo in boiling water until fully cooked. Drain and rinse with cold water and cool completely. I strongly recommend that you do not cook the orzo with the soup as the orzo will end up absorbing all of your broth.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook until the onion becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Season mixture with thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaf, and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Pour chicken broth into the pot. Partially cover the pot and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir lemon juice and lemon zest into the soup and add chicken. Cook until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes. Add spinach or kale and cook until it wilts, about 2-3 minutes.
- When ready to serve, put the desired amount of orzo into a bowl and then add the soup. Garnish with the lemon slices.