Get ready to rev up your sewing machines and sharpen your rotary cutters for this exciting new series at Emma’s Quilt Cupboard!
Whether you’re an experienced quilter or a beginner just starting out, our Tucker University Club is a fun way for us to get together and learn something exciting and new! Deb Tucker designed her tools and techniques to make your quilt blocks come together quickly and easily with perfect accuracy. Who doesn’t want that? Using these rulers and techniques will open up a world of possibilities. The creativity is contagious!
Each month we’ll focus on a different Studio 180 Design tool. During this 12-month series, you’ll learn seven different tools and techniques to make a variety of units, in a number of different sizes, all made with the same ruler. Each month we’ll explore tips for cutting, sewing, and pressing your oversized units, while increasing your skill and accuracy in the trim-down process. Each month we’ll be making 4” finished units you can combine to make a 12” block. You won’t believe how your blocks come together. With these tools and techniques, your seams line up almost magically! Also, since you’re not making a whole quilt, there is more freedom to experiment with color choice and perfecting your new skills. At the end of the series, you’ll have the opportunity to combine your blocks to make a beautiful sampler project highlighting all the new things you’ve learned this year!
Get in on the ground floor and start your Tucker University Freshman semester at the beginning or sign up for any session. You can take them all or pick and choose the classes you want to take, rulers you want to learn, or blocks you want to make. Whether you sign up for the whole series or only a couple of classes, after using these rulers and practicing these techniques you’ll find you’ve developed a whole new perspective on your quilting. You may never look at the old way of piecing the same way again, and if you’re like me, you’ll never look back!
Once you have registered for class, we will email you class supply list if applicable.
Class Name: Tucker University
Class Date: First Sunday of the month - different ruler every month
Class Time: 12 noon - 4 p.m.
Class Instructor: Tracy O'Donnell
Class Fee: $40 per class
Pattern Required: Design sheet and technique sheet
Skill Level: Confident Beginner
Passport Class: Yes
- Emma’s Quilt Cupboard & Sewing Center maintains a strong commitment to education and expanding your quilting skills and knowledge. Because of this, our promise to you is to NEVER cancel a class, regardless of the number of people who have signed up.
- Emma’s Quilt Cupboard & Sewing Center offers a 10% discount for all Passport-Eligible classes. This discount applies to all fabric, books/patterns, and class-specific supplies that you purchase for class (i.e., specialty rulers). Basic sewing supplies and tools are not included.
- Please note that we have a refrigerator and microwave in the shop’s kitchen. Feel free to use them for your lunch or snack.
- You will only be “officially” signed up for a class when payment has been received. You can sign up for a class on the website, over the phone, in person at the shop, or by mail, using a credit card, cash, or check.
- Our goal is to provide sufficient time during class for you to complete your class projects or to learn a specific technique. However, please remember that some classes may require homework or “catch up” for less-experienced quilters.
- A supply list will be provided for each class. Please have your fabrics and supplies assembled/purchased before the class so that we may start on time. Anyone at the shop will be happy to help you with your fabric selections if you would find that useful. Basic supplies for a quilting class include a sewing machine, cutting mat, rotary cutter, ruler, and basic sewing kit (scissors, seam ripper, pins, etc.).
- Each student must have a legal copy of the class pattern or book to participate. No photocopies or sharing of books or patterns is allowed in class to ensure we do not violate any copyright laws.
- Refunds for classes will be given with a minimum of 1-week’s advance notice. Should you withdraw from a class with less than 1-week’s notice, we will issue a store credit, providing we receive at least 24 hours’ notice.
- Please note for all machine classes: please bring your sewing machine in good working order and be familiar with its basic functions (e.g., threading the machine, changing the needle, needle position adjustment, and stitch length). While we will do our best to help you with any problems, we are not familiar with all machines. Therefore, it is important that you have a thorough working knowledge of your machine. Remember your foot pedal and power cord!
- Please turn off your cell phone, pager, or other electronic devices. If you must take a call, please leave the classroom to do so.
- Many people are allergic to fragrance. Please refrain from wearing perfume to class.