Mom's Macaroni SaladSalads
This is a salad recipe that my mom made when we were kids and her mom made when she was a kid. Aren’t those just the best recipes. We have it all year round, but it’s particularly good during the summer as a refreshing cold salad. This is the salad that my kids want me to make when they come home. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
1 box (16 ounces) small elbow macaroni, cooked until soft
6 hard-boiled eggs, 5 chopped and 1 sliced
1 large can of tuna, drained
1 can (14.5 ounces) of medium peas, drained
3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
½ cup diced red onion
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup diced green pepper
5 sliced green onions
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use a light version)
1-2 tablespoons sugar
1-2 tablespoons yellow mustard
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Make sure macaroni and eggs are cooled before combining with other ingredients. Otherwise, your dressing will become runny.
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, and yellow mustard. Start with 1 tablespoon each of sugar and mustard and then add more for taste. The dressing should be a mix of tart and sweet at the same time, but not overly so.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix well. Salad ingredients should be lightly coated, not drenched in dressing.
- Place sliced egg on top of salad and serve. It can be served either at room temperature or cold.